Whether you’re using an iPhone or an Android device, having a virtual private network on your phone is essential if you want to keep your browsing history and internet searches private from your wireless operator, internet service provider, or law enforcement. VPNs can also provide an extra layer of protection if you’re at a coffee shop or airport and you’re worried about putting your privacy at risk when connecting to an unsecured network. not be completely safe.
VPNs are easier tothan you think and most of them are relatively affordable. Here’s how to set up a VPN on your own or fast – and go back to private browsing – in less than 10 minutes.
Why do I have to use a VPN on my phone at all?
Are all internet connected applications on your phone up-to-date and running on versions that were released later than, say, 2017? What about your operating system – is it the latest version fromor ? If the answer to any of these questions is “I don’t know,” you should use a VPN over the phone if possible. It can be difficult for malicious actors to take advantage of regular users of public Wi-Fi networks, but outdated software can give them the ability to steal passwords for the most vulnerable accounts.
If you’re concerned about the risks of using public Wi-Fi to check confidential work email accounts, bank balances, or information about airline tickets and passports, a VPN can give you peace of mind. Some of our top rated options include, and .
How to choose the best mobile VPN
Whether you’re using an iPhone or Android smartphone, the first step is the same: find the VPN you like that is compatible with your mobile device. Here’s how:
1. Browse the topwatchbest listor . If your goal is to safely browse public Wi-Fi networks, look for a VPN service that has servers located in your country. As a general rule, the closer you are to your hardware, the faster your VPN connection will be.
2.. We love the 30-day warranties and seven-day trial periods (i ), but completely free VPNs are rarely safe, and are often just a way for inappropriate companies to get your data.
If you want to invest in a VPN in the long run, you’ll need over 10 minutes to search. But when you’re ready to dive deeper, topwatchbest doesand .
How to set up a VPN on an Android phone
Now that you’ve selected the VPN you want to use, follow these steps to get it working on your Android device:
1. To open it Google Play Store on your mobile phone and tap on the search bar at the top of the screen.
2. Enter the name of the VPN you want to use and select it from the list of applications that appears. Take a look at the app developer to make sure you’re downloading the official app instead of its mimic. The company name and app developer should match. Click here install and wait for the application to download.
3. After installing the VPN app, exit the Google Play Store and go back to your phone’s home screen, click on the VPN app and open it.
4. The first time you open any paid VPN app, you’ll be asked to enter your login details or sign up for the service. If you’re asked to sign up using your email address (which is the case with almost all services), check your email for a confirmation link from your new VPN provider.
For the apps listed in the topwatchbest VPN directory, the process will be largely the same: you’ll be prompted to choose and pay for your preferred subscription tier. We always suggest choosing a service that has a 30-day money-back policy so you can test the services until you find the one you like.
Android devices require additional steps to keep the VPN running constantly in the background. We don’t recommend this for most users – a 24/7 VPN client will drain your battery quickly and may force you to overrun your data allowance too quickly if you’ve opted for a VPN provider that restricts its customers’ data usage.
This means that by default, almost any new VPN that you use will only work if you open the app and turn it on. Just remember to turn it off when you are finished browsing.
How to set up a VPN on iPhone
Here’s how to run a VPN on your Apple iPhone:
1. On your iPhone, go to the home screen and tap to open Application Store.
2. Obtain this Search in the lower-right corner of the screen, and then tap Search box at the top of the screen.
3. Enter a name for the VPN you want to use and select it from the list that appears. Then tap To receive the button that appears to the right of the application name. As with any other application, you must confirm the installation of the application with a password, Touch ID, or Face ID.
4. After the installation is complete, close the App Store and go back to yours House screen.
5. Similar to using a VPN for the first time on Android, using a VPN on an iPhone for the first time means you’ll be prompted to create a new account and select your preferred subscription level. Check your email inbox for confirmation links sent by your VPN company if you signed up with your email address.
Almost all VPN apps will ask you to connect to an automatically selected VPN server based on your location for the fastest browsing possible. From now on, any time you want to use a VPN, all you need to do is tap the VPN icon on the home screen before browsing the internet, click the app button to connect, then go back to the VPN app and turn it off when you’re done.
Now. Didn’t I tell you it was easy?